Monday 21 May 2012

Condolence Letters Part 2

8.  From Wilfred Yerex, Baltic Canadian Trading Co. , Excelsior Life Bldg, Toronto   May 4th, 1939
Dear Miss Childs:-  It was with a great deal of regret I learned this morning from Mr. Needham and Mr. Gertley of your recent bereavement - the death of your mother. Kindly accept and convey to your father my deepest sympathy.  I will see both of you soon.  Yours sincerely,  Wilfred Yerex

9.  From George Black, 119 Eglinton Ave West, Apt #18, Toronto 12  5 May 1939
Dear Mr Childs:- It was quite a shock to us to hear from Mr Bonyin [?] that Mrs Childs had been called home. We only heard of it after the funeral.  I hasten to convey to you and your family, especially Miss Childs, our sincerest sympathy in your hour of sorrow and loss.  "The heart knoweth its own bitterness", but God makes no mistakes, and very soon we shall all be united again -- it cannot be very long -- we can only commend you to an all wise loving Father who sees the end from the beginning. You sorrow not as those who have no hope. "We look for the Resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come."  May He give you grace and strength to carry on till the day dawns and the shadows flee away.  My wife joins me in remembrances and prayers.  Kind regards to Miss Childs and yourself.  Yours Sincerely,  George Black.



10.  From Mabel   Fordwich ON  May 5, 1939:
Dear Miss Childs:  I hardly know how to tell you I felt when your letter came the other day. It just seemed impossible to think that your Mother had "gone home" so suddenly and I surely feel for you in your loss.  Isn't it wonderful tho' to know that she was looking forward to being with Jesus.  -- it seems to take away the real grief of losing a loved one. I surely have been praying for you and I know the Lord will be "all that you need" in your trying times.  I will never forget how good you all were to me and I certainly enjoyed the fellowship I had in your home.
   Now that the roads are good again I will be looking for you up any time. We are always home on Saturdays so you won't need to write unless you want to.  I am chording a very little on the guitar now and I expect to be getting in quite a bit of practice.
  We had prayer meeting at Pries' last night and we surely enjoyed it.  Mr Berry was in for supper too -- it surely is a treat to see someone who is spiritual.  We are starting our Revival Services the last of May and we would love to have you here then. They will last a couple of weeks.
   How glad I was for the testimony in your letter that even now Jesus is holding you up and sustaining you. What a wonderful Friend we have!  I remember when you used to tell us in the SS class that you tho't none of us would grow up to be women before Jesus came. Now we will be able to look forward with hope for that day when we will all be united again and we can sing His praises.  It will surely be wonderful.  "The dead in Christ will rise first, the afterwards we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them ... Wherefore comfort one another with these words."  It is real comfort I think to remember that that day may soon be here.   Love from Mabel.

11.  From Walter and Dorothy Crone, pastor of the Evangelistic Centre, Temperance Ave., Niagara Falls, Canada  May 10th 1939
Dear Mr Childs:-  It is with deep regret, that we have just heard of the decease of your dear wife, and our hearts go out in deepest sympathy, to you and your family, in this, your hour of bereavement.
   We shall never forget what a good and kind mother and wife that she was, and her life spread much sunshine, far beyond the realm of her own home.  We shall never forget, that on many occassions, she was most kind to us.
   As we ponder the words of our Saviour, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" found in Matthew 25:40, we do not hesitate to say, that, our dear Heavenly Father, has great rewards laid up in store, for Mrs Childs.
  Please extend our sympathy to each of your family, and our prayer is, "that you may find much rest and comfort, in THE SECRET PLACE of the Most High, abiding under the shadow of the Almighty", knowing, that even at the longest, it is but a moment, until, with her, you shall be caught up together to meet the Lork in the air, and so shall you ever be with the Lord.
  With much love in Christ Jesus, we are
  Yours in His glorious service   Walter and Dorothy Crone.

12.  From Esther A.  St. Paul Minn   May 29, 1939:
Dear Nora and Mr Childs. -- This morning I received a card from Ingrid and she said Mrs Childs passed away about three weeks ago.  It just stumped me and I sure feel for you I feel so terrible that I did not know about it before so that I could have at least written to you before.
  Ingrid told me some time ago that Mrs Childs had been ill and so when I was down town after I got a card to send to Mrs Childs but as I had not written to you Nora for so long I wanted to write a letter with it but seemed I never got that far until I was afraid that it be improper to send this not know just how your mother was at the time so I wrote Ingrid to tell me and now she wrote this.
  I can just imagine your sorrow and the emptyness of her being gone. Its hard for the ones  that are left behind but the wonderfull consolation of knowing she is at peace and not suffering any more but resting up there with the Lord until the big day when she shall meet all her dear ones and be with you for ever. But the parting is hard and not to have her with you and around will be a hard burden to bear, I do realize.
   I have been find all winter very fortunate did not even have a cold. I plan to leave for home the 1st part of July and be home for a couple of months. have rader[sic] been wondering what to do. I have good pay in a way and not such hard work but "Mrs" is quite a trial at times and very much tied in can hardly get out an evening except my day off as I get through so late. Sunday I am through sometimes not before a quarter to four in the afternoon so it does get so late so am not so fussy on the job and I feel I want it to be with the folks for awhile again one never knows how fortunate we are or how long we can have our parents with us so I feel I want to go home and be with them this summer again even if I have to look for some thing else in the fall.
   We have had quite cool weather here for some time but has been quite hot today. Time seems to fly on so soon summer will be all over before we know it. Ingrid says she will be coming through about the 14th of June I sure will be glad to see her. Wish I would be able to come in to see you again also.
   I will now close and hope to hear from you some time Nora when you have time and feel you are able to write.
  May the Lord strengthen and bless you both in these days of sorrow.
  With much love, Esther A.
P.S.  My brother was married  again the 3rd of May has a very nice wife I like her very much. Also Laura is married Nora to a farm boy at home.
     {The writer of this letter was very sparing with the use of periods.  I have tried to copy it as written, so have fun making out what is meant!}

13.  From Bertha Fahy or Faby, June 3, 1939:
Dear Nora -- I have been wanting to write to you for some time to tell you how shocked and grieved I was to hear of the passing of your beloved Mother.  I know how sad and empty the days must seem to you since her departure.  There was such a beautiful bond of love and understanding existing between you and your Mother that I know the many precious memories will, with Gods help, give you strength to bear up in this great sorrow.
   You have been in my thoughts so much and I sympathize so deeply with you and your dear Daddy. 
   Let me hear from you my dear child when you can find time.
   With dearest love  Bertha Fahy

Norah Childs



No comments:

Post a Comment